Friday, December 16, 2005

sammy


Today my office gave us a holiday cause we had a party last night. I woke up late and lazed on the bed for a good half hour before moving. I needed to get up to go to my ex-office.
We had to make some voice recording for my friend Sameer, who was in a serious car accident 6months and 7days ago exactly. He was in a coma for 4 months, and now is in a brain injury rehab center.

We met at work. I had to do some stupid brochure for a bank, and he was the designer on the job. We instantly connected and we have been friends for about 3 years now. When I was a trainee, he was the one who asked the main guy to take me on, and extend my training period. We’ve hosted parties together where he was the super cool DJ and we’ve painted the town red. At clubs he was the guy who always danced behind me.

We used to do this thing, we would go to the canteen and I’d get the chai and he would get the Parle G biscuits and we would do the “dip dip”. This happened practically every day at about 4 or 5 in the evening. Every morning I would enter the office, but my bag on the table, switch on my comp and go to Sammy’s table – to take him down for coffee and breakfast.

We’ve spent nights in the office working, playing pool and drinking wine. We’ve done freelance together and created some mind blowing stuff. Sammy is the best graphic designer I know. He is so passionate about his work that we met once in a club and under those UV lights, he got out a A3 sheet of paper to show me a layout he did. And now I am not sure if he will still be able to do all that. Whether he will come out of this, the same Sammy I know and love so much.

We once had this conversation about why we should be together. Cause I know he snores, he knows I tend to judge people too quickly. We both know we are flirts, we both love the same music and have the same friends. We ended up saying that it would ruin the friendship and he thought I was the one girl friend he had… he did not want to jeopardise that. I said ditto.

I remember once he walked into the office in the morning, eyes closed and holding a blue coffee cup and a bottle yelling for me. When I went to him he told me he needed me to put drops in his eyes cause he couldn’t do it himself (he had his contact lenses in the blue coffee cup)

I used to sit next to him while he worked (he liked that- maybe I inspired him) and I used to bug him by asking the same question over and over, to which he would reply ‘no’ all the time – “Sammy, If I die, will you cry?”

One day he said – 'maybe.'

I think of him everyday. Every single day I pray for him. How much can I pray? 6 frikking months and 7 bloody days! I miss him goddamnit! Why the hell is he not ok yet? Why the hell did he go and reach his friend home? Why the hell did no one help him for 45minutes? Why him?
Today we recorded our voices for him, so he remembers us. It was a cruel reality check. He is not well. They say he will take a while to get back to normal. Normal?

Sameer is an awesome guy.
I hope he gets better.

Still praying. Always praying.

p.s: I love you lots sammy.

3 comments:

The Grin Reaper said...

I wish everyone especially me has a friend like you and sammy. Hope he gets well.
PS: pls tell me how to put pics on the blog

:) said...

hey sc,

he's got my prayers too.

Princess Stefania said...

I cried when I read this.
Is he better now? I hope he is, and he will be because I'm praying hard.
I had someone close to me who was in a coma for three months, and she's fine now. So if he isn't better as yet, don't give up hope.