Sunday, December 25, 2005

drowning in the bubbly

It’s christmas day. I woke up to the sound of loud carols coming from my living room. I thought I’d put up a post before going to my uncles house for yummy christmas lunch (think roasted chicken, champagne, prawn cocktails, leg of lamb - drool)

I was having a bah-humbug kind of moment yesterday. The 24th of December. I was at the office working on Christmas eve… I was freezing in the air-conditioner, I couldn’t breathe by virtue of mucus, and I was incredibly pissed off (I snapped at the sweet cleaning man, telling him to turn down the damned radio... Ms. Scrooge)

I left office at five thirty and rushed to pick up my top I needed to wear for midnight mass. Then I rushed to try and get my mum the blouse she wanted – it was not there. I ended up coming home empty handed and even more scroogey than I was in the morning.

I reached home at eight and nine was mid-night mass (ironic isn’t it – midnight mass is never at mid-night anymore because of noise rules!)

So I got ready and I looked in the mirror, I looked just fabulous dahling (pardon the lack of modesty) I wore a lime green silk longish top that has a hot pink silk zari belt: it’s one of a kind, black pants and my three and a half inch shoes.

I wore my hair down for a change, and walked with my head high, for a change.

We were right behind at mass. The church parish is growing every month. And they never estimate it correctly, there is inevitably a lack of chairs. We were lucky to get seats, according to Joseph, the usher.
I have realised that the people in my parish cannot sing. The lack of tune is appalling. I really wish, instead of a makeshift choir, they just get a nice CD player. Anyway, after three hours, my heels were getting to me and all I wanted to do was go home.

Home was lit up with christmas lights on the tree and my mum had baked a rum-filled chocolate cake, dad made the coffee and we talked a while.It’s christmas day. And I have no plans. I have not been for a christmas dance in ages. My office secretary, Greta, asked me why I am not going for a dance and told a guy in my office to take me for a dance – he made a face and shrugged it off. (he made a face!)

It’s christmas day and I don’t feel anything. Where is the cheer and joy? Where is the love?

Where is that proverbial warm, fuzzy feeling?

I’ll just wait to drown myself in champagne at my uncles house.

3 comments:

Queenmatrai said...

Hey baby...

Where's all that Xmas spirit...

Lets wear some xmas decorations in our hair and dance on the table tops...

Hell lets sing xmas carols really LOUD...

that oughta cheer us up :)

Mwah

noojes

:) said...

warm fuzzy feelings don't come with christmas, they come with alcohol, love.

and with little champagne bubbles that pop in your head and make you go all tingly and blury and warm and fuzzy and feely.

merry christmas and a very happy new year.

:)

Slogan Murugan said...

I guess that you were singing so loud that you could hear only ur self. next time, pause, and try to listen!