Wednesday, December 07, 2005

deck halls boughs holly walls

'Tis the season to be jolly, deck the halls with boughs of holly.

I love this season. The merriment, the songs, the parties, the food and of course the presents.

My mum still ends all the notes on our presents with, Love Santa, even though we see her putting them under the tree. It's fun though to receive a present signed by Santa, even if Santa has my mommy's handwriting!!

My mum also writes cards. Starting from the beginning of the month, she begins to write cards and cards to people she has been sending cards to since forever. The top of the envelope of each card, has the initial S.A.G - It's Saint Anthony's Guide (so that the card reaches safely)

Every 1st December, my mum blasts an LP of Christmas Carols that she has had for ages. It's a Christmas tradition. A very nice one too. Cause every 1st December I wake up happy. In a span of one year, in 1999, both my sisters left for the United States. My mum did not want to put up the tree that year. She did not think there was any point. We did put up a tree eventually, but my mum was sad.

Putting up our Christmas tree is a tradition in itself. We have a 32-year-old silver tree that was hand made. It is still in the original box. It has a stand and each bough needs to be wiped delicately and put into little holes in the stand. Every year, after Christmas, my mum seals the box with wrapping paper. That box has 32 years of wrapping paper on it. It's awesome.

My dad used to have themes every year for the crib. One year he did a space set, like Jesus was born in Mars, with blue light and a rocky surface effect. Kinda unorthodox, but that's what cool about it. The themes have dwindled away now, but my dad is still in charge of doing up the crib.

Every 25th of December we go to my uncles house for lunch. It's awesome. And predictable too. We drink champagne, we talk, my uncles fight (you know how a group of tipsy men can get), we distribute presents, we have lunch at four in the evening, and the uncles and aunts go to sleep while the cousin's talk outside. This happens every year. Although over the years, the family size has shrunk. My sisters have gone, my nana (grandmom), the absolute center of this tradition is not around and uncles, aunts and cousins have moved abroad.

What you should do during Christmas:

Christmas is fun. But it is singularly the loneliest time of the year too. It has inspired the happiest songs, and some of the most heart-wrenching songs. It is a time when lovers come together, and those without lovers sit in the shadows, drowning in the music, bells and light. If you have someone, go for a dance, it is the best thing to do. If you don't get some good friends and sit on someone's terrace. But never ever go to a dance without a partner, it may cause severe depression.

If you have never toasted marshmallows. Do that. Its yummy, but be careful not to eat it immediately, cause you burn your tongue and then the purpose is defeated.

Sing carols. If you don't have the words go to google.com and find them.

Have plum cake, and if you drink soak it with rum and set it aflame and then have it. Hot plum cake with cold vanilla ice cream is da bomb.

Let in the carolers. My dad hates them. He puts off the lights and pretends no one is home when they come around. Not a people person, my dad.

Finally, listen to a really depressing song on Christmas day (I recommend "lonely this Christmas" by K.Mud)

Trust me, if you do not cry just a little, or get choked up, or teary eyed - you're made of stone or are an incredibly good actor.

Seasons Greetings from me to you ;-)

2 comments:

± said...

for once(especially after the previous verbose comment on 'the cat')for just this once(just occupying space)
im truly speechless. i have nothing to say.

Seasons greetings to you too :-)

Queenmatrai said...

The plum cake sounds divine, can I come for Xmas dinner?