Friday, August 18, 2006

sisterhood of the...sniff...sputter...weep...

The movie is about these four girls who grow up together, after their mom’s meet at a birthing class. They grow in to totally different individuals but are still as thick as honey.

The one summer, when they are sixteen, they don’t spend together is what the movie is essentially about. Their only contact is letters and a pair of jeans that they buy from a thrift store. The jeans travel through their hometown to Greece and Mexico. Each girl learns some sort of life-lesson and passes on the jeans and the knowledge to the next.

Why do I like this movie? It’s sweet, it’s teeny and it’s not quite me at all. More importantly why did I cry? I actually have some thoughts on that.

First, they get to travel to places that I can only dream of going to with the money I earn. Greece for example. It is just so beautiful and she gets to just go there for a summer? Is that fair?

Reason number two - The girl who goes to Greece meets this incredibly hot Greek student called Kostas. He saves her when she accidentally falls into the sea from the pier.
Note to self – must fall in sea when visiting Greece so as to be saved by hot fisher-boy.

Three, the girl who goes to Mexico is insanely hot. She is tall, athletic and has perfect hair. And on top of that, she plays a forward in a girl’s soccer team. Something, again, I can only dream of doing. A good reason to cry, yes?

Fourthly, those damn jeans fit all of them so frikking perfectly that it would take me half a life time and a lot of trial rooms to find any pants that fit me so incredibly well. And they happen to find one at a thrift store? Meaning someone actually had the stupidity to give away a pair of perfectly fitted pants? What the bloody hell is wrong with them… pass on a couple of hot pants here why don’t you…

Number five, the movie is actually quite poignant. They grow through divorce, death of parents and friends, love, parting, family feuds and a whole lot of stuff – that could make anyone cry. Really.

Six, I have never had a friendship so strong, that it lasts for sixteen years, maybe even more (if the movie had a sequel)
Sure, I have had good friends and people I have known since school. But have I grown up with someone, changed with them, spent every day with them and told them everything about me. No.
My first best friend was in the second grade. She left school in the 5th and I have never heard from her again. I had an amazing group of friends in college – we were ‘the five of us’ – but that soon changed when people moved away and others started not caring anymore about anyone except them selves. I have had good friends at work too, but moving agencies doesn’t help keep a friendship alive. So...I guess I also cried ‘cause I never had a sisterhood of friends.

Which makes me think that there is something wrong with me – not having a childhood friend? Doesn’t that qualify as serial-killer behavior?

Hmmm….Did Hannibal have a best friend?

Yes, I’m sure he had his. (we serial killers are a riot.)

Sniff.

Anyone want to watch the trailer again?

5 comments:

Queenmatrai said...

I havent seen the film but I read the book and hated the book

But ill take your word for it


noojes

Spazsim Chasm said...

ok weirdly i would never read a book like that... but i guess in some cases the movie and probablly add a lot to an otherwise blah book...

Scritch said...

the problem with accidentally on purpose drowning to be saved by a hunky greek is this-
I know a few greeks. Out of lets say 7 greek men,
5 are extremely hairy and not hot [but very funny].
1 greek was extremely cute but not that interesting. [but then who cares about conversation?]
and the 7th last greek one is so goddamn beautiful all I can do I stare at him in droolling awe.
Unfortunately he is as gay as a paisley velvet caftan.
I'm not sure what my point is exactly.

Spazsim Chasm said...

dammit. so you just end up getting wet. and being alone. story of my life. dammit.

Anonymous said...

Okay, stop sniffing Lector. You do realize that seven years from now you’re going to have to write a blog taking back all that you said in this one because by then you’ll have a sisterhood --- preferably something less corny.

I anticipate that while in the last nine years we’ve seen each other through a lot of first times, a few never agains, some only onces, stomach-aching and throat-grunting laughing sessions, tear-stained-cheeky hugs (and then those uplifting ones too), butterflies-in-the-stomach episodes and all those many you-had-to-be-there-to-understand situations, the next seven will come up with a lot of special see-you-soons, oh-fuck-after-so-long reunitings, it-feels-awesome-to-do-this-again and talk-till-five-a.m. nights and plenty more this-one-time memories.

But basically it’ll be 16 years that we’ve known eachother by then. We may not have spent everyday together, but you know we’ll always be able to meet after years and feel like it was just yesterday that I turned around and said, “it’s huit,” to you.