Monday, August 14, 2006

gasp. sniff. snort.

I have just been enlightened with some catastrophic information that has the capability of ruining my ever-shrinking prospects of finding myself a suitable partner.


I snore.

I am devastated.

I never thought I would be the one who snored at night. I always thought I would be the sufferer of someone who snores – because I despise any noise when I sleep unless it’s music playing in the background.

What’s even worse is that I don’t merely snore apparently. I bellow.

How very warthog-esque of me.

There is even a Museum of Snoring where snorers used to be treated worse than criminals. Snoring soldiers would have canon balls stitched to the inner side of their uniform so they could not turn over to their backs and disturb the others.

Another anti-snoring torture tool was the mask – a leather mask that straps the chin so the mouth remains closed – this is probably what it felt like to be Hannibal.

Yet another ancient remedy – “Pins”– they stretch the nostrils to a point when the sleeper gets more oxygen. Well he may have more oxygen – but will he get any sleep with pins in his nose?

Should I take comfort in the fact that many famous greats snored their heart out?

The likes of Winston Churchill, Brahms, Albert Einstein, even the mighty Greek God of wine, Dionysus.

Of course not. Because clearly only fat, old, fanatical men with bad-hair lifetimes snore.

As Anthony Burgess once wrote,
“Laugh and the world laughs with you. Snore and you sleep alone.”

I’m devastated.




I snore!

10 comments:

Queenmatrai said...

Pssssst 'I'm a light snorer'...

noojes

Spazsim Chasm said...

Noojes... psssst... i know - remember Pune?? And light is an understatement... i feel for poor natata wada

hehehehehe

Jerrster said...

interesting Spaz....now how did you find out about this snoring business...hmmmmmmmmmmmmm? (eyebrow raised)

Revati Upadhya said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Revati Upadhya said...

i used to poke fun at my boyfriend who snores sometimes. but now i snore too. pssst: a light snore. :D

WHY does it happen?! where does it come from!!

Spazsim Chasm said...

Jerry... life is not that interesting... My sister told me.. and not gently either.. loudly and at the breakfast table!
Gasp!!!

Queenmatrai said...

Welcome to the snoring club and now you did something horrible...you made me go and miss "Natata Wada"....*sigh*

Noojes

Nautilus said...

Awww comeon...everybody snores...some more lightly than the other :-)

You've listed some really torturous methods to "cure" snoring. Wonder if such extreme methods were required at all. I just kick the snorer next to me and bellow "STOP SNORING!!!!!!" ...that always works :-)

Spazsim Chasm said...

i have another blog too... i just formed it.. check it out if you wanna it's http://wormsbookshelf.blogspot.com/

Scritch said...

I too was devastated when I was told I snored.
It's my bawa heritage. My uncle used to snore so violently he scared my brother.
I also realized sometimes i sleep with my mouth open.
i am so upset.
on the other hand, when i hear other girls snore i think its quite cute.

I wonder do supermodels snore?
or celebrity hotties?