Wednesday, August 30, 2006

the electronic garden of eden

It’s finally here. It’s black, it’s sleek and it’s beautiful. It’s my new prized possession.

My iPod.

Assembled in China, it traveled on a long and perilous journey across the seas to the Artic and then on it’s way to North America, where it stopped in at California before finally making it to my sister’s doorstep in Connecticut.
I know this because my elder sister, who actually bought me the iPod (bless her heart), tracked the FedEx package.

It was ordered from the Apple store and it came with a touching personalized engraving and a card from my sister. These Apple guys go all out to make receiving your pod an extremely joyous occasion.

I have dreamed about this. I have spent time thinking about where I would use it, how I would flick it out at work, so all my iPod-less friends can silently ogle. I have thought about the pictures I am going to put on it, the videos, and the songs- 7,500 of them to be exact. Oh the joy. Oh the beauty. My life is suddenly filled with music. I feel elevated. Floating on a light cloud of my favourite tunes. Light.

I now know why they call the store ‘Apple’ – it goes back to the beginning of time when Adam and Eve walked the garden of Eden and happened upon a juicy red apple – yes the fruit that cause the fall of man – temptation, lust, desire, empowerment – everything I feel when I hold this shining black beauty in the palm of my hand.

My brother-in-law tried to tell me that there were other mp3 players that were equally good, if not better than the pod. But I wouldn’t have it. What’s an Mp3 player if it is not an iPod? If it doesn’t have the little circular dial? The white earphones? Ahhh… those snow white earphones.

So despite his words – I got it. And I think I made the right decision.

I think. Therefore, iPod.

9 comments:

Queenmatrai said...

Congratulations and celebrations but you never told us what the engraving said...

noojes

Nikhil said...

nice and gushing indeed.

Yes ipods do rule the earth and in fact light the very heavens in their utter brilliance.

Revati Upadhya said...

AAH! I WANT!

Jerrster said...

you were correct Spaz iPod only everything else is just an mp3 player.

iPods rule.

± said...

i want black video iPod too :(

Neha said...

exjhactly! an ipod is an ipod is an ipod! i have an electric blue mini and it doubles up as my life support system.

:) said...

iPod you Pod we all Pod for iPod

Spazsim Chasm said...

Scream wit me people!!!!
yayaayyayayaayyayayayayaya

Going to Penn today for Labour day weekend.. will write when i get back... see ya!

Scritch said...

so true.
that was a touching post.
altho ipods have a shockingly short life span.
how convenient for apple.