Sunday, September 06, 2009

clarity

I’m watching a show on TV. About a bunch of doctors who are possibly having the worst bout of luck with their patients.

This is what they do though, this is their life: In one room, an intern holds gauze after gauze against a man’s bleeding artery until he dies, and she could do nothing to prevent it. In another room is a man who has been crushed under an ambulance, he’s watched his partner die and his heart is volatile. And in a third room a black doctor refuses to stop operating on a white supremacist even though it is compromising her marriage. Why? Because she took a vow as a doctor.

I am reminded that what they do, is so important to everyone around them.

The program breaks. And I see one teenage girl telling another teenage girl how they should wear a silly fake nose ring to their show. But the other girl can’t wear the silly fake nose ring, because she has oily skin. But luckily, her friend has a handy tube of face wash that washed the oil right off and lucky for her friend, she can now wear the silly fake nose ring to the show.

And suddenly, I am reminded of what I do.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

In school I had this crush on a gynec...he wasn't hot or cute but I was in awe of this man who got so many babies into this world...so I wanted to be a doctor too...you know study for a purpose...to save lives. But science was just not my cup of tea...so I chose advertising and all I'm doing is saving my client's ass by trying to create a campaign out of scraps! I wish I had a vow too...

Roy said...

look at the quality of medical education at most indian schools and be thankful.

Citrus said...

:)
Loved it

Nautilus said...

Hey, it's been a while since I've come this way. Glad to see you're still writing and haven't gone off air like a lot of my favorite bloggers! :) Will come back to read all the backlog of posts...

taikun said...

Is there a show that about what lawyers really 'do'? Nice post.

@ Roy
I am not sure what is more appalling; your stupidity or your ignorance.

taikun said...

Is there a show about what lawyers really 'do'?*

Spazsim Chasm said...

@ Vanity - yea, i get it :s
@ Citrus - thank you :)
@ Naut - come by more often :)
@ taikun... I think boston legal comes close... i love that show!