Thursday, February 01, 2007

Ten things you need to know about pandemic influenza

Oh come on.

Like you actually thought this was going to be about pandemic influenza? This is about me.
It’s always about me. And anyone who comes here thinking – ‘why doesn’t she write about something less shallow than her life’ – Go away. Be gone. Get lost.

I’m not here to please you. You are here to humour me.
If you have no time for my ramblings, I am more than dandy with that.

It’s almost 3am and I am at work. Pretending to work on a pitch. No, not pretending, trying. Really trying. I’m nervous in this office. I can’t stop thinking about when I will get to go home. This is my first night here – I’m not sure where to sleep, or whether I should sleep at all.

I can’t believe this kind of trivial crap goes through my mind most of the time. It’s like it’s on over-drive but no one really cares.

I feel low.

I’m going through one of those recurrent quarter-life crises. Almost 26 years old, single, no life partner on the horizon, stuck in a full time job, getting paid chicken poop, living in the back of beyond, a victim of public transport, no social life, no time for hobbies, no time.

Weekends are longed for and when they begin, you cram them so full of things to do, that you end up being tired the rest of the week. Weekdays can’t be messed with because your new job demands you not to make plans and leave early enough to do something fun, before you head back to the village.

All men suck. The ones who don’t have girlfriends or wives or are gay or are pretending not to suck, until you fall into their trap and they divulge how hideously sucky they really are.

Money is being made everywhere you look. Smart individuals with zero talent are raking in the cash. Why? Because they have foresight and are bold enough to make the money that is there, waiting to be made. There is so much money in this city and none of it is in my bank account.

There are so many things I want to learn – pottery, salsa and capoeira. None of which I can do – don’t ask me why. And don’t tell me I could if I “really” wanted to.

Did I mention how much men suck? Especially the ones I happen to be so lucky to encounter. It’s almost as if this secret manual, a code on how to piss me off, is passed amongst them. Like a little all-mail underground cult with an evil agenda, dedicated to making me feel crappy. Maybe I’m giving myself way too much importance.

What am I doing? Am I happy with the direction my life is going? Where will I be in five years? Those are the deep questions that plague my mind now. You’ve got to admit they are deeper than - when will he call me? Who is he with? Why do I want to kill that stick-figured chick?

This makes me a tad pleased.

I’m older, and deeper, and wiser.

Ok maybe just the first two... Hey, two outta three ain’t bad.

10 comments:

wiseling said...

so, blogger did the same thing to me.. i just typed non-stop for the last ten minutes, and it didn't go through :( sob.
so, yeah.. pretty much the gist of what i was so eloquently saying earlier is that once you hit rock bottom, you can only go up.. so start looking up...
and about the stick figured chicks (i share your dislike and disdain with fervent passion,) i have only one thing to say- sexy women eat food!

and since you actually seem to like the fact that i know more quotes than is probably healthy, here's a couple more for you... :D

Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things. ~Robert Brault

In order to have great happiness you have to have great pain and unhappiness - otherwise how would you know when you're happy?
~Leslie Caron

wiseling said...

oh.. and thanks for the help with the assignment... i think i'm probably going with dress-sense and doing fashion related photo shoots... eh, who knows?

Anonymous said...

Get a life girl... Take mine!!

Spazsim Chasm said...

wiseling - thank you again... and lets sit on some stick figures and crush em mindlessly...

doodus - thank you for the offer. But considering you're so willing to give up your life, i'm guessing it's not so hot... i'll stick with mine, being bitter kinda makes me human and all :P

Spazsim Chasm said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Spazsim Chasm said...

“The best thing for being sad,” replied Merlin, beginning to puff and blow, “is to learn something. That’s the only thing that never fails. You may grow old and trembling in your anatomies, you may lie awake at night listening to the disorder of your veins, you may miss your only love, you may see the world about you devastated by evil lunatics, or know your honour trampled in the sewers of baser minds. There is only one thing for it then—to learn. Learn why the world wags and what wags it. That is the only thing which the mind can never exhaust, never alienate, never be tortured by, never fear or distrust, and never dream of regretting. Learning is the only thing for you. Look what a lot of things there are to learn.”

—T.H. White, The Once and Future King

wiseling said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
wiseling said...

ahh another quote to add to my collection.. yay! it is a really good one... quite inspiring, i have to say...

Revati Upadhya said...

believe me, i so know this feeling. the only thing worse than this is to cause people ou love, immense pain because of the rut you've gotten yourself into.

the lovely thing about blogging and blog-hopping is finding some weird eerie and freakishly coincidental blog that sounds like it could almost be a page out of your life.

Revati Upadhya said...

sigh. sounds like a page out of my life.
and im not even 26!
eek..
its nice to read a completely arbit blog and feel like you're not the only one that feels this way sometimes..
:D