Sunday, February 04, 2007

certifiable

After going to town to meet a friend who was leaving for the States, I took a cab to my old school. My mom, who was a teacher there for almost thirty-two years, was invited to an alumni function. There were mails going around for the last two months about this big function, but I was totally uninterested in going.

Thinking I would just pop in to tell my mom I was outside waiting for her, I ventured in, dressed in old jeans and a ratty black tee and my big basket bag. I walked around aimlessly looking for my mom, and looking to see if I recognised anyone from school. Some guys did look familiar – you know, just older with facial hair, the girls were dressed up to the nines. I looked completely out of place.

I found my mum surrounded by a group of big hulking men, all asking “Miss, do you recognise me? Class of ’89?”. My mother was in her element – it’s amazing how much she remembers. A man walked up to her and asked if she knew who he was – she looked at him and said – “Ali, Blue house, in the second grade, you looked up Mrs Wilma’s skirt and yelled out what fat thighs she had!”
Needless to say, Ali, now an airline captain and his wife were both amused and suitably embarrassed.

I told my mother I was going to wait outside for her, cause dad was coming too and we’d have dinner together. As I talked to my mom, I heard a table whisper my name, when I turned around I did not recognise any of them, “Juniors”, I thought, smugly.

As I was leaving, clutching my big bag, trying to look down and hoping against hope that no one would recognise me, being grossly under dressed and all, I looked up for a minute and was met with a big smile.

He used to be in the green house. Never tall. Always cute. I had a huge crush on him for a while. He was in my mother’s class when he was in the first grade. Now, twenty seven, dressed in a white shirt and grey trousers, he looked, well, smashing.

We talked for a while, he met my mother and we talked a little about what we were doing now. I sat for a while at his table, with all his batch mates. He then asks, “Remember when we were in the first and we had a full day of school, and you were in the nursery, and had only half a day? You used to come and hang out in our class with your mom... you were so cute”

I didn’t remember that detail. I didn’t know if I should laugh or cry. This guy was talking about me like I was a bitty baby in bloomers. I did wear bloomers at that time, cream and white chequered bloomers. I think he had that image in his head. The horror.

As we talked he asked me for my number. This was a good sign. It meant he was not thinking about the bloomer story anymore. Then he dropped another bomb. Turns out he knows the current guy in my life – although he doesn’t know about me and him.

He said we should all go out together. And I grunted a disillusioned ‘uh-huh’. But he took my number, So mixed feeling were running through my head– messed up about the new guy issue, and really giggly and gawky at the old guy.

Later, giggly and gawky prevailed. He said we should definitely catch up and go out sometime. I sputtered a “sure, that would be awesome”. He half hugged me and then left.

Damn he was cute.

I think I can definitely be classified as boy crazy.

Yup. Definitely boy crazy.

9 comments:

Spazsim Chasm said...

hahahaha... so i did the cheap quiz i linked - this is the result..
Your score is 55. Your stuck in the middle, you like boys but they don't haunt your every breathing moment. You can do things without thinking about boys, you feel good about yourself whether a boy is around or not and you don't let everything boys do, say or don't do stress you out. Bravo, you have achieved balance!

hahahahahaha.. that was FUN :)))

Queenmatrai said...

Your score is 60. Your stuck in the middle, you like boys but they don't haunt your every breathing moment. You can do things without thinking about boys, you feel good about yourself whether a boy is around or not and you don't let everything boys do, say or don't do stress you out. Bravo, you have achieved balance!


Sigh why doesnt it feel balanced to me?

And listen dude u gotta come and pass over some of this luck of meeting cute guys dude

noojes

wiseling said...

boy crazy = good.
crazy about one boy = not so good.
(unless said boy is equally crazy bout you.. lol)
but then again.. although love makes us all a little weaker, in the end we all turn out a little bit stronger..
so let me, once again, contradict myself..(mood swings, what can I say!)
"As we grow up we learn that even the one person that wasn't supposed to ever let you down, probably will. You will have your heart broken, probably more than once--and it's harder every time. You'll break hearts too,so remember how it felt when yours was broken. You'll fight with your best friend and you might even fall in love with them. You'll blame a new love for things an old one did. You'll cry because time is passing so fast,and you'll eventually lose someone you care about. So take too many pictures, laugh too hard,and love like you've never been hurt--because every minute you spend mad or upset is a minute of happiness you'll never get back."



thanks for stopping by.. it's nice to know someone's around.. :)
and sadly my 55fics are often based loosely on reality.. and my spastic emotions.. so Lost and Found were actually two different meals with different people... I just love Greek Salad! :D
And Worth... well I just tend to get frighteningly morbid at times... oh well!

Wow, this is getting really long.. I should stop now..

Good Luck with cute guy! :D

Spazsim Chasm said...

Noojes! you are telling me you are finally not swamped with rich, good-lookin yummies???!!!


Wiseling - the longer the better baby - SHEEE - i meant the comments! Git yer mind outta the gutter girl!

:P

Queenmatrai said...

Spaz,
I threw them in the gutter - thats where they belonged
noojes

wiseling said...

Chee! Oh my virgin ears! haha...
But seriously, go have a good time :D

Anonymous said...

Question is... did you flash cleavage at him??

As for the crazy bit, defintely. 100% certified!!

And hey, what's with the MUSH??

Anonymous said...

OMG.....I love this whole secret boyfriend life you girls have going...Indian girls are so intriguing to me.

wiseling said...

One week, no posts.
Pout.