Friday, February 16, 2007

buffalos don’t have wings

Isn’t it amazing? I let an entire Valentine’s Day pass without ranting and raving about my crappy luck with love?

Surprisingly though, I had a very nice Valentine’s. No, I did not find the man of my dreams nor did the current man in my life turn into a knight in shining armor.

I have been working with my ex art partner on this website design and concept. We work really well together and it was kind of sad when we parted ways. Now that we are back in the same office, we try to do stuff together as much as we can. She and I have been going crazy figuring out how this website will work and how it will look. We spent days thinking of a concept – and eventually we fell in love with what we got.

So on the 14th we had to present it to my boss, who would approve it or not. And he loved it. Our hard work was appreciated and he was very liberal with the compliments – which trust me, is not usually. He even called some other people to check it out. And when she and I hugged, he joined it – to her surprise and my horror.

Post work I went for a drink with a couple of friends to a place called 'Brew Bar' (Note - Long Island Ice Tea is the bomb). I did have a fight with the waiter though. He tried to pass off Chicken lollypops as Buffalo wings. And when I insisted that what was on the plate was not Bufflao Wings, he looked at my half finished glass of Long Island Ice Tea and said patiently, “Madam, Buffalos don’t have wings.” How can you argue with that? I won't even get into the Fish Fingers thing.

Post that, some of us went dancing. I was happy. I didn’t miss anyone. I didn’t pine for love. I didn’t feel sad for that entire day. The next day I was at work bright and early – worked a little more on my website, my baby and went home.

For a change it feels good not to be all messed up because of some stupid commercial holiday that is only for losers and victims of filmy crap.

I think if I did receive a stuffed animal, a heart shaped box of saccharine sweet candy or a bunch of vegetation, I’d run screaming in the opposite direction - probably to the nearest bar to get me one of 'em Long Island Ice Teas.

6 comments:

Scritch said...

hahaha the waiter is clearly a man of great wisdom.

wiseling said...

I'm doing as well as can be expected in sub zero temperatures.. lol
Glad to know you had a good Hallmark Day.. I was supposed to go out for dinner with the girls.. but we had a snowday and everything was closed, so I spent v-day sniffling in bed with a box of tissues and Pride and Prejudice.. (no, i didn't cry, i was sick!)
I have to say though... my faith in boys was somwhat mollified when, while smoking outside, i saw a guy carrying his (uber-dolled up in little black dress and stilettos) girlfriend bridal-style through three feet of snow... sigh.

Spazsim Chasm said...

A VALENTINish POEM
BY KRISTOFOR MENDONCA (a friend)

Valentine's day draws ever near,
Filled with love and hope and cheer.

That you will meet that special guy,
The only apple of your eye.

A guy who's handsome, smart and sweet,
Who'll hold your hand when you cross the street.

Who gets you flowers and gifts all the time,
And knows just what to say to make you smile.

Who lends a ear to all your woes,
And is always there to massage your toes.

Who will pick you up when you take a spill,
And always insists on paying the bill.

Who hardly sweats and always smells nice,
And can tell the difference between a condiment and
spice.

Who looks in your eyes and not at your butt,
And when with your parents says FLIP and not F*&K.

Who does things for you, that no other guy would do,
Like keeping the seat down after using the loo.

Who would rather walk away than get into a fight,
And makes sure he only gets drunk at night.

So this valentine's, don't give up and do not wait,
Such a guy is closer than you think.

To find that guy is the main key,
But don't look here cause he isn't me.

wiseling said...

hahah.. I do like the poem.. and specially when you get all happy and excited and it goes.. "But don't look here cause he isn't me."
Oh, life... when does it get easy? (and would we even enjoy it if it was???)

Queenmatrai said...

Ha Ha Spazling

Happy belated V day :)

And fish fingers really cracked me up

lol
noojes

Anonymous said...

Hey you forgot about the Mushrooms!!!