Monday, May 18, 2009

(far from) happy ending

This weekend I watched three very different movies about how male protagonist fights for the woman he loves, eventually getting her and living happily ever after. And they all made me sick.

The guy who supposedly adored me for two whole years did not get the girl. He did not even begin to fight for her. He left me instead, hopefully watching these movies wondering why he did not fight in the same way for me. Making me assume that, perhaps, I just wasn’t worth the effort.

Going by the movies I saw— my break up should have hurt me so bad, that I somehow meet the man of my dreams on a bus or in a store (when I least expect it) and we go out and I realise that the break up was the best thing that happened to me, which is when my ex realises what he terrible mistake he has made. Or I make such a huge impression on this dreamy dude who falls completely in love with me and does everything he can to keep us from never leaving each others sight.

I know, I shouldn’t be using Hollywood as my relationship benchmark. I know that the script has to be happy to make a blockbuster—which makes me oftentimes wish I was living in a movie, instead of this crap, lonely reality that I exist in.

God damn it, I want my happy ending.

13 comments:

Roy said...

forget hollywood! I think in real life, guys want to be sure of the girl meeting them halfway and hence not take it to the hollywood movie level.

you may call us pu****s!

Spazsim Chasm said...

well sometimes you pu****s don't realise that the girl is meeting you three quarters of the way...
and unless you go about it in some psycho serial killer way (or even like the bed of roses dude, who sends her a gazillion flowers), i'm sure any girl will appreciate a little hollywood lovin'

so there.

Roy said...

we are the emotional equivalent of a chunk of metal. atleast on the outside...so explicit instructions are needed. and I'm sure all girls enjoy the hollywood way. but its too cheeze for macho us!

sycorax said...

Hey, read ur blog, well most of it, hey thsi si stupid,,i dunt want to start a rant fest,,,i had my break up too....but u know wot i still love d guy,,but i hate him too.....he's went ahead and married his cousin.......

i'm going cuckoo,,telling my business to a complete stranger.....

Similarites between u n me...I was a copy writer too...now working for an IT company as a content writer...

good blog......liked it...

agent green glass said...

once in a while you should go out and beat the shit out of guys. specially when they leave someone as gorgeous and funny and talented as you.

Citrus said...

What about Roy?
He's kind of cute :)

Spazsim Chasm said...

am i being set up on a blog? oh lordy :) this is a whole new level of blind dating

Roy said...

that will be a very bad idea. you may never recover. according to my friends, i should marry any girl who can stand me for more than a couple of hours.

Spazsim Chasm said...

funny. my friends say the same thing about me :( Ergo, it is a terrible idea...
Citrus, maybe you should take a shot...

Citrus said...

Roy,
I have one word for you.
Reticence.

-Citrus

Roy said...

@citrus
If only that was the problem. It lies somewhere between being a cynic and speaking mmy mind without regard to anything.

Spazsim Chasm said...

@ Citrus *hug*

Anonymous said...

Ditto! You seem to be writing everything I'm thinking. I needed a dose of mush and ended up watching 3 movies back to back...and while at the back of my head I know it's fiction and it's fun to watch fairytales...the setup and situation that brought couples together was too unreal and depressing...so misleading!