Wednesday, June 13, 2007

jitterbug

There I was, microphone in hand, looking upwards. The disco ball made pretty, comforting patterns on the ceiling. It calmed me a little, but for the most part I was a barrel of nervousness.

Welcome to the Corporate Karaoke championships.

I know what you’re thinking, how can a little singing cause so much anxiety? Well let me tell you, it’s not just the singing, it’s the performance pressure, the stage fright, and to top it all, the strangers, who’d probably pay good money to watch you screw up.

It’s not that I have a bad voice or anything, it’s more that I have bad stage presence – think – making imaginary doodles with your toes and twiddling thumbs.
So anyway, there I was – spotlight on me, my team uneasily cheering me on – their thoughts were screaming out at me – ‘We know you’re a first timer, you better not make us lose’.
The song was a sappy, love ditty – not one I would be caught dead listening to, but a safer option compared to my alternative, out-of-the-box tastes.
The calming ceiling patterns, the muted cheers and the sound of my voice– which didn’t waver, crack, or mess up, not even once.

I won.

10 comments:

Nikhil said...

arreh wah, I never thought you had a songworthy voice.

By the way, I loved the karaoke bars in bhutan. I sang the beatles day in and day out.

Revati Upadhya said...

whee.. congratulations! did winning make u feel happy?

Anonymous said...

I heart karaoke!

Good on yu @ winning

Spazsim Chasm said...

Egg.. i have a very song worthy voice! Like you've every tried to hear it :(

Haathi: Winning was goood... we lost overall tho.. but i didn't care too much :P

G: I heart karaoke too!!!

Ajeya said...

you winner you

Spazsim Chasm said...

*giggles*

Revati Upadhya said...

just to let u know, ur linked on my blog now.. :D

Anonymous said...

AND - just what was the sappy, love ditty � not one I would be caught dead listening to.. did you sing? Please tell me it wasn't any of the following - Words, Hotel California, What's Up, Zombie .... Ha! H A T E T H O S E !

Ivy said...

ah u inspire me to participate in the Karoke event coming up in my city!
of course that is if i have a guaranteed happy ending like yours :P
i wanna win too.

± said...

yayayayayayayayayayayaya