Tuesday, May 01, 2007

sammy update

This past Saturday, I and a friend went to visit Sammy for the first time after he came back from brain rehab in the States.

The whole visit was almost surreal. I couldn’t believe that this guy, sitting in a wheelchair in front of me, was the same guy who used to be the one person who’d dance behind me every time we went out. I couldn’t believe that it has been almost two years, and the progress is still slow – he is improving, but it’s going to take a long, long time for him to dance behind me again.

We had lunch with his parents and his brother, who is the strength that has gotten Sam this far, when doctors said he would never speak, walk or understand anything ever again. We shared stories and I learned that Sam was a man of many secrets and a genuinely naïve guy, who may have been taken for a ride, more than once.
It made me want to beat up all the people who have ever hurt him. I was always overly protective of him, I’d snap at anyone who said anything about him or his art – so much so, when the accident happened, people in the office came up to me to ask if I was ok.

When I saw him, my heart broke into a million pieces, and I thought about what a waste of talent this was. How a stupid split second mistake can affect someone’s entire life and family. How you can curse Fate as much as you want, but still nothing changes what has happened.

His dad had phoned me a week ago saying Sam was slowly coming out of it and getting more and more depressed and needed people around him. He’s not talking much because his jaw is still messed up so he can’t really articulate – it’s mostly sign language and mumbles that only his family understands.

His legs are still weak and he was made to do some physiotherapy while we were there and the screams of pain were even more heartbreaking.

I’m not sure if he recognized me but I did get a thumbs-up when I asked if he remembered the club we used to frequent.

It took everything I had not to cry and be positive and tell him that I wanted him to have that poolside party as soon as possible. His parents have been so strong and his brother is just amazing.

It’s possibly the most difficult thing to come to terms with the fact that he is not well. But to still be positive about his progress and know in your heart that he is going to be better is comforting.

I have that feeling. I’m positive that he will be able to dance behind me at that smashing pool party we will have. Positive.

9 comments:

Princess Stefania said...

All you need is hope, faith and trust.
And just a bit of Pixie Dust.
I'm glad he's better.
Perhaps it'll take time, but when you do have that pool party, you'll agree that it was worth the wait.
;)

:) said...

i have thought of Sammy so often since i read that first post of yours about him. It made me cry then and i feel like crying again. But that won't do anybody any good. so instead i'll send out a wish and a prayer for his recovery.

hugs

Queenmatrai said...

My prayers are with him as well

noojes

Anonymous said...

Sammy stories give me heebiejeebies and makes me think that all my worries are so insignificant. More power to Sammy.

Revati Upadhya said...

prayers. lots of prayers. and the hope that it will be alright. he will dance again.

P said...

Prayers coming your way!

Roy said...

hope for the best...and pray!

Neha said...

i can't even imagine how hard it must be on him, his family and friends. but look at it this way, he has already got over the hard part. from here on, he can only get better :)

more prayers cmg your way...

Slogan Murugan said...

How is he doing now?
Gopal