Monday, January 24, 2011

am i?

I have this friend who I consider to be a very close friend. Or at least I did until something very bizarre happened.

I was invited to a party, I was one of the few non-family members that were invited. I thought I was being a good friend when I tried to help her serve the appetizers etc.

I was wrong.

The next day, when I called to tell her how fabulous everything was, the food, the drinks… the whole party, she said something very strange.
She said, I’m saying this because I love you, but I will never invite you to a party again. You annoyed me. You kept coming into my kitchen and you were always in my way. I hated it, and I couldn’t handle it at all.

I was so hurt. Then I became angry. Then just plain sad…

I haven’t called her. And neither has she called me…
I’m not sure who is wrong anymore.

It lead me to remember a quote…

“A question that sometimes drives me hazy: Am I or are the others crazy?”

~ Albert Einstien

Am I?

6 comments:

Revati Upadhya said...

no! she is! most certainly!

Shahnaz said...

Umm...Did she have an issue with everyone who tried to help her or was it just you? If it was everyone then maybe she is the kind of person who just likes to run her kitchen her way and is not appreciative of helping hands. But on the other hand if she was ok with help from family members and just thought you were in the way, then she certainly does not appreciate a good friend and you need to stop worrying about her and not let it bother you anymore. :)

Citrus said...

Talk to her. Tell her she should have just told you. I imagine it would be ok for a friend to say Excuse me, but I don't want any help and not have you be upset about it, wouldn't it?

It seems silly to lose a friend over something like this.

(she does sound a little crazy)

Spazsim Chasm said...

she technically only had an issue with me helping. Cause as i recall there were several people in and out of the kitchen at any given time (i mean the wine was in there!) I'm almost certain she didn't call them all and fire them.

Also, I don't want to be the one apologizing and calling. If she thinks that this is worthy of losing a friend over...then so be it.

Right?

Citrus said...

You certainly SHOULDN'T be apologizing. I think you should be telling her that if she has something to say should should just be able to say it without you getting upset about it. Because you probably wouldn't have gotten upset if she declined your offer of help outright in the first place. Would you?

Spazsim Chasm said...

Exactly! If she had said, at that moment, listen sit in the hall i can manage by myself, i would've been fine.
But to call me the next day.
Irksome.